May 14, 2009

I had no idea that its gonna be so difficult to prove my identity to the others. Never in my entire life did I have an issue of identity which I face today. What’s in a name was what I believed. “Oh hella lot than what you think baby” is what I realised.

Recently I joined a reputed news channel as an intern. Wow, what an office! Fully air conditioned (first priority in this scandalous summer), excellent team (I’m bound to say that!) and hectic work schedule. I guess interns all over the world face this issue of posh companies becoming sweatshops for the interns which should be taken to the Human Rights Commission and it should be debated in parliament about the rights of the interns and... well my point is that its a hectic work schedule. So, in the entire hullabaloo, the issue of my identity became a huge problem with the ID card sensors placed everywhere in the building so I had to use the card even to go to a loo.

To a girl who has the ingredient of self-respect a little too high in her, the authority questioning her identity became an egoistic matter. Not that I’m egoistic, mind you, I’m as down to earth as an old pair of shoes, according to Linda Goodman but you would be pissed off too if every time you are asked, ‘Madam, your ID card’ even in the midst of heavy work. Like a beggar begging for his alms, argh!

During one of my outdoor shoots, I was roaming in the company's vehicle and when I got down from that and walked through the office gate, the security guard stopped me and asked, 'Madam your ID card'. Now think, A poor, hard-working girl who has been on outdoor shoots almost the entire afternoon under the gruelling sun, comes back with an excellent footage for the TV programme is stopped by a puny, pesky security guard who is demanding for her identity card. That's it. Enough is enough. In my most venomously sarcastic tone, I asked him, "Mr Security Guard, (dung brain, I thought) is it possible for an outside person to come in the company vehicle?"

He gulped and said, "No ma'am"

"Then why are you asking me an identity card knowing fully well that I'm working here from the past five days and you've been seeing my face from the past five days and that I have just come back from work in the company's vehicle which is an identity in itself, haan?"

He gave a smile and sent me in. If my eyes could spit fire, he would have burnt down to ashes.

But today, I'm happy. I'm so happy, I could fly. Because finally I got the weapon to destroy their vainglory. I got my ID card, finally. And when he ritualistically tried to stop me again from going inside today, I flashed my ID card on his face and smiled at him rather sarcastically, as if to say, "Look here you dungbrains, I finally got my ID card. Here, See for it yourself". He smiled at me, rather sweetly which washed away the sarcasm in me. I stopped near him and clapped his hand and said, I got my ID card, see". He smiled and waved his hand. I felt small. He is great, not me. He was doing his duty, that's it!


2 comments:

PATTUGRAPHER said...

nice one...

Unknown said...

Priya,,,,,Nice Blog....

Shiv